Saturday, October 6, 2012

W.W.D.O.P.

Nickelodeon's World Wide Day Of Play!

Worldwide Day of Play is an annual event designed to encourage kids and parents to turn off the television and play, especially outdoors. The yearly event officially began on all US Nickelodeon channels including GAS, Teen Nick, and Noggin... Just to name a few. (http://en.wikipedia.org) Nickelodeon cancels their entire line up for the day so that kids will be more inclined to go outside and play!

I know, I know, I know... I'm too damn old to get excited about Nickelodeon's Annual "Day of Play" but hey I love this idea! Anyone who knows me knows that I loathe what technology has done to the mindset of young people. Cell phones, Gaming devices, TVs, Computers, iPhones/Pads/Pods whatever..even cars... I Pretty much hate em all. I believe this new aged technology has made things too easy for us, we rely too heavily on these things to live everyday life.  Nobody exercises, reads, researches anything any more... I do believe in the evolution of man, but some things are more harm than good (ie. the cell phone, we can't remember a single phone number in our contacts because we don't have to) We're just LAZY!


I commend Nickelodeon for their strives towards encouraging a healthy lifestyle and straying away from the television to get our youth back active! Activist and FLOTUS (First Lady Of The United States) Michelle Obama has used her voice to address issues like childhood obesity which she is extremely active in her "Let's Move" campaign. Not only does she encourage kids to play, she doesn't mind strapping up her laces and playing with them. We have to make sure that our kids, have positive role models, and we have to lead by example!

Make getting fit a family activity! Plan more days at the park or beach, and less days at Chuckie Cheese or the Movies! These activities will bring your family closer together and get you all in better shape! And with video games ranging anywhere between $30-$50, you can save a little money by purchasing basket balls, jump ropes, and skates or skate boards for the kids this holiday season! Stay in shape, get kids active and social, all while spending extra time with your family! Nickelodeon, I'll tip my hat to you guys! This is a great idea!


1 comment:

  1. I turned to nick Jr for my daughter this morning and seen this message.. needless to say.. we went outside :)

    ReplyDelete