Sunday, October 7, 2012

Steel Magnolias (Then And Now)

Many of you may not remember the classic, witty comedy "Steel Magnolias" which was initially released in 1989. The star studded cast filled with the likes of Julia Roberts (one of my favorite actresses of all time) Dolly Parton and Sally Fields, just to name a few. Basically the plot of the story is about the everyday lives of some southern old fashioned women with different views and personalities. It also tells the tale of a young woman (Julia Roberts, who plays Shelby) who's a diabetic, just married. The doctor tells her because of her medical history she my not be able to carry children. But Shelby does end up bearing a healthy son. In turn she struggles with her health. 23 years later, comes a remake! I'm very excited about this because it's so many years later and not only that, it's an all-star African American cast. Queen latifah, Alfre Woodard, Phylicia Rashad and the list goes on. It's going to be so interesting to compare the two, after two decades where the world of film is so much more competitive and innovative. I only hope that the old fashioned plot is still the same, with just that little modern twist. I'll be tuning in tonight as the remake of the hilariously funny, touching, and very relatable "Steel Magnolias" airs. Don't forget to turn you television sets to Lifetime tonight at 9 PM EST. It's really a fun film for everyone to see!
-Meangirl_ro

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Very well written love! I read up on it a while ago, I definitely will be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so iffy because I loveeeee the original, but I think they actually did a good job. I also loved how they kept the same dialog :) great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. i fricking missed the movie lastnight :(((((((

    great post though!

    ReplyDelete