Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful, Nonetheless

I don't ever recall a thanksgiving without my family. And I'm very family oriented so I try to be around them as much as possible. This year though, I turned 26 moved into my own place, and kinda trying to come into my own independence officially. So with that I don't get to see my family as much. This thanksgiving I'm kinda emotional (not a whole lot), it feels really different cookin everything on my own in my own space and being able to enjoy it all...ALONE. MY family decided to go up to Sarasota, Fl to spend thanksgiving with one of my favorite cousins who we don't get to see as often.

They alternate the visits every year so she comes down for Christmas. Every year I miss my mom as well and wonder what my holidays would be like had she been here. But I had to put all that aside and still keep tradition alive. So I decided to make my own turkey day dinner. My feast for one included stuffing (of course) collard greens, sliced cured ham which I glazed with some honey, two well seasoned and buttered down Cornish hens, and white rice (which I used the juice from the cornish hens instead of water to give the rice flavor). For dessert I have sweet potato pies. My family and I get together ever year as tradition to make our sweet potato pies that we all love so much! So even though I'm not able to be with them for this thanksgiving holiday, my meal will definitely make me feel like I'm right there with them, with the exception of me missing a few dishes lol! I hope u guys are having or have a wonderful turkey day dinner with the ones you love most, I sure am about to enjoy mine!


Ps the wine selections I've chosen for my meal were White Zinfandel and Reisling. They both go quite well with almost anything.

-@meangirl_ro





No comments:

Post a Comment