Sunday, September 30, 2012

"Throwin' Shade"


"She's pretty for a dark skin girl"... *screeching tires* We've all heard this imbecilic phrase/saying at least once. I loathe it with every fiber in my body. This is one blopic* that I am completely unbiased about.

Oddly, I am a lightly pigmented girl. At no given point in my life did I feel I looked better than any of my darker counterparts, solely based on skin tone. I strongly believe that beauty comes in all shades. I can easily name a plethora of medium to dark toned women that are extremely beautiful. (Gabrielle Union, Kerry Washington, Kelly Rowland, Michelle Obama... Just to name a few.)

Everyone should be happy in their own skin. Easier said than done, right? Why is it that celebs are being airburshed up to almost 2-3 shades lighter? They just always seem to have that "glow". Things that make you go "Hmmm...". Are we being coerced to think that lighter is better? Is black not beautiful?



Taking a more personal route, it disturbs my soul to know that one is threatened by the "light skin girl". Society has created these stereotypes that have brainwashed us -- well not all but some. I, for one, am not moved. Men tend to seek the lighter tones but if you look around and compare your circle of friends, most times all the light skin, "most desirable" chicks are still single. Coincidence? Nope! I guess they, I mean "we" are just fun to look at. Let's not even mention the negative connotation of "red girls". I hear some of the worst things EVER! True or not, it still bothers me. Oh and I absolutely hate when someone tells me I am acting a certain way because I'm "a red girl". Its foolish and low. Since when did pigment determine personality? There is some truth in every joke.

I guess you can kinda apply the whole "To whom much is given much is expected" theory to this ordeal. If at any point I gave the impression that I am unhappy in my skin, allow me to clarify that as false. Perhaps, because I am of a lighter tone I am not aware of the struggles a darker toned female might have experienced. However, we might look the part but it's no easier than being purple or blue.

So, what's your take?

 
*blopic: blog + topic
 
 
--1Red

6 comments:

  1. I love love love love love this! SN: it makes my skin crawl when I see beyonce on the cover of a hair color box and she's about 3 shades lighter than she really is. Also, i just stole the word "Blopic" right out of your cooltionary (dictionary and cool) Ok am I reaching? aight cool... whate evs. - GFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. From Beyonce's hair color to her skin, or how it appears, she's transformed to a race of her own. Lol! Indeed, she is naturally given a light complexion but if she gets any lighter she'll be Lady Gaga

      Delete
    2. "a race of her own" lol you are so right!

      Delete
  2. I love this post, it's exactly how I feel as an "Dark Skin girl" ...most of my CLOSE friends that know me, know that I have some type of skin complex when it comes to being dark skin & that's because all my life dark has been promoted as bad. I used to model so I would go to castings and the light skinned curly haired girl always seemed to be the favorite. We can be beautiful and look exotic as well, but unfortunately dark skinned girl's beauty isn't appreciated much. It's days I love myself and days I hate myself thinking that I'm ugly and why am I living? Who would want an ugly dark skinned girl like me. I blame society. Red is not always better. Quick story, I have a friend who's light skinned & her child's father is dark skinned; they produced a light skin daughter and she was sooo happy that she came out light skinned & "Pretty". This bothers me because 5 years later she told me to my face that she doesn't want anymore kids because she don't want another girl. She's scared that if she has another girl she will be dark skin and she don't want a dark skinned girl. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowww! I'm sure there are more girls that feel the same as you do. But I can guarantee there are thousands of people that think you're BEAUTIFUL! Maybe that casting wasn't the fit for you. Life is never fair so why would that opportunity come so easy. You have to work hard, even if it requires working harder than the "light skin curly haired girl". I'm sure she's been looked over before. Gain your confidence back and never feel inferior to ANYONE because of your skin color. There's so much more to life.
      P.S. Your friend is a disgrace to her own race. She shouldn't have any more kids... She's obviously not mature enough for much anyway.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding to this post and sharing your story! I couldnt imagine a "friend" saying anything like that and honestly that was rude. Be strong and hold your head high mama, your woman so you beautiful!

      Delete