Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Destination: Destiny

I remember the built anticipation I had before I could listen to Date With Destiny, I remember that mixtape giving me a modernized T.I.'s I'm serious feel. I remember rewinding songs two and three times. I remember verses resonating and replaying in my head. Dear Destiny gives me something totally different! In the intro alone (which I listened to a total of three times) that's laced with the timeless "Still I Rise" poem from renowned poet Dr.Mya Angelou, prepared me for a different, more serious approach. A symphonic, poetic, aggressive introduction sets the tone for a journey through the dream.

Some of the tracks like "Young Nigga" and "Both" sample R&B classics like Tyrese' Sweet Lady, and the Late Great Whitney Houstons' "You Give Good Love". I'm never disappointed with the samples because the originality of the lyrics remain relevant. Sidebar: that outro to Both is one of my favorite parts of the Mixtape (aside from the Mya Angelou intro) that Xscape sample was a GOOD look! I also fell in love with "Dream Girl" all over again, Tyra B added just the right amount of vocals, soft and sweet!

Dear Destiny gives me Consistency. He still speaks to the his roots (the hood) while displaying his gentleman side for the ladies and shows off a little bit of his flashy/cocky alter ego (which you can get a taste of with "LIVE"). The track that shows me growth would definitely have to be "Mind State" (that audio where Jay-z is dropping knowledge gives you clear direction and vision as to where the desired destination is: The Top). 

It wouldn't be an honest review if I wasn't honest, so here goes! In reference to "Opposites  Attract" (from previous mixtape effort Date With Destiny) and "Different", I like Dondria as an artist but the tit-for-tat continued duets with her is beginning to bore me a bit. I love the concept, but I could use a Sevyn streeter, Elle Varner, Lana Fame kinda vocalist #JustBeingHonest. All in all, Its a start to finish, no skip, repeat, heavy rotation body of work. The same but a different Dmac. You have to listen to understand! 

Another notable effort is how Dmac always manages to fit in a dedication ballad to his struggle, to show that it's still real, evident, and still very much apart of who he is. The difference between where he is and where he wants to be Admirable, and very relatable.

"The only thing worse than a broke nigga, is a nigga that's alright with it" -Dmac

Make sure to be on the look out for the fall release of Dmac's Dear Destiny. It will not Disappoint!

Follow Dmac on IG: @dmac2r, Twitter: @Imdmac and FB: Derrick D Mac Mckenzie for official release date.

@Meangirl_Ro www.Teamshoeicide.com

No comments:

Post a Comment