Thursday, July 25, 2013

Independent Living 101

Recently I ventured out on my own and created a living situation for myself. And boy has it been one of the hardest things anyone (especially a woman) can experience. So this post is dedicated to all the hopefuls that want to go out into the world on their own. Granted, I didn't have any help or guidance. It was just me, so I made a lot of mistakes that I'm not afraid to admit.



First things first. Budget. This will probably be the most major factor ever when considering living on your own. When I made the decision to get my own space I was completely thinking ahead as far as decor, lifestyle, soiree's, all things fancy and irrelevant. I was not at all considering utilities, necessities (groceries, hygiene  supplies, my own spending habits). So you definitely need to make sure it's something affordable that still allows you to live a little.



Next, Location, Location, Location! Beggars can't be choosers. It's perfectly normal and expected to want to live somewhere lavish and over the top. Which is why location was second. You can't have champagne dreams with sparkling water coins. Just doesn't work that way, although we all wish we could pull that off. At some point there will be a struggle, and at that time of struggle you're gonna wanna trade your lavish livings just to be able to live normal. With that being said. Find something quaint and tolerable. In this case you may have to sacrifice and live in a not so great area.


Last but certainly not least, educate yourself. Whomever you deal with in the matters of leasing and where you'll be laying your head at for the next year or two is super imperative to any other moves you make. Don't, DO NOT, you Absolutely Mustn't sign an agreement/lease/contract without thoroughly reading it and speaking about it with your landlord. There can be lots of hidden fee's, repair cost, lease breaking penalties, eviction clauses, major little things (fine prints) that can be avoided just from having an understanding!

          

One of my problems while adjusting to living alone was being lonely, cooking too much food, and deciding what necessities were most important (internet vs cable or both kinda thing). That's all based on preference though so you'll figure all those things out once you're comfortable in your new situation. Good luck to all you independent individuals seeking a sense of self. Moving out on your own isn't at all easy but it's very worth it! I hope that this post was helpful, because having experience is one thing, but being able to share your experience and mistakes is another!


         _@Meangirl_ro

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! Great insight for those of us trying to break free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read, valid points. Now find a closer home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I needed all those tips. & what she said... Find a closer home! LOL!

    ReplyDelete