Thursday, April 25, 2013

Let The Church Say

One word: Fantasia! Listening to the highly anticipated (at least on my end), long awaited, and refreshingly soulful fourth studio album from Ms. Fantasia Barino. I must first say that I was skeptical, but still anxious to hear the project. But (a big, huge but) the album is everything! She sings about her failures, relationships, doubts, insecurities (both hers and commentators). No one could've prepared me for such a realistic point of view. And I was absolutely positive that it wasn't going to be anywhere close in proximity of how honestly raw, real, and catchy "Back To Me" was. That album in my eyes was like a redemption because the self-titled album prior to was very mediocre. Anyhow, this present-day work is close to a masterpiece. Some of my favorites are "Ain't All Bad" where she croons about how falling in love isn't all it's cracked up to be hence, falling out of love isn't all that bad either. Basically saying that love is a beautiful thing when we have it, but when it's gone and you get through that break up is even more of a triumphant victory. Another song that I immediately gravitated towards was "without me". In this hip hop bouncy produced track she speaks to the trifling man who starts to smell himself a little too much, gets brand new, and acts like he's been on all coincidentally after you parted from him. She throws lots of shade his way with some help from the beautiful Kelley Rowland and none other than the mulch-faceted music veteran Missy Elliot. Love love love that track, it's so relatable! Lastly (although its really cutting my favorites list short) there's a song entitled "To The Heavens" where she pays homage and respect to all the music legends that paved the way and made music what it was. It's very touching and sincere. She shouts out everyone from Michael Jackson and Jimi Hendrix to Whitney Houston and Bob Marley. It was a heartfelt tribute that I'm sure everyone would appreciate. She's had a little flirty fun with tracks like "Change Your Mind" and "So Much To Prove". All in all, the entire album is a straight through listen. She definitely took me on the journey with her this time. And those vocals took me to church honey *snaps*. You GO TASIA! Awesome work! -@Meangirl_ro

1 comment: